Set in the Indian Ocean, the tropical island of Sri Lanka offers travellers a unique opportunity to experience leisure, culture, history and unparalleled natural beauty. The land area of 65,610 kilometres is home to 8 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, 1,330 kilometres of coastline - much of it pristine beach, 15 national parks showcasing an abundance of wildlife, 250 acres of botanical gardens, 350 waterfalls and a cultural heritage that extends back to over 2,500 years.
Due to the compact nature of the island, travellers can experience all these and more, even during a short stay. A few hours of travel, and the golden sandy beaches give way to the lush tea estates and the misty mountains of the hill country. Wildlife enthusiasts can proceed from leopard spotting in the National parks to swimming with dolphins in the warm seas. Serene places of worship nourish the soul while bustling shopping complexes offer a variety of delights for those who seek retail therapy.
Sri Lankans are warm hearted, cheerful and friendly. The multi-ethnic and multi-cultural demography together with influences from the Middle East and Europe have given rise to complex fusion cuisine. Sri Lankan spices are legendary, and where ever you sample the food, your taste buds will be delighted with a range of subtle and delicious flavours.
Known to travellers over the ages as Serendib, Taprobane and the Pearl of the Indian Ocean, Sri Lanka is truly a delight to visit.
- Official name
- Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
- Currency (code)
- Sri Lankan rupee (LKR)
- Currency Exchange rate($) to (LKR)
- 1 USD = 126 LKR (Approximately)
- Commercial capital
- Sri Lanka has a tropical, sunny climate. Low lying coastal areas, such as Colombo have an average temperature of between 29-310C. The northeast monsoon (December to March) results in unsettled weather to the north and east of the country, whilst the southwest monsoon (June to October) brings showers to the south and the west. However, bright, warm, sunny days are the rule, even during the monsoon season. Due to the high humidity, it is recommended that travellers wear light cotton clothing outdoors.
- Time zone
- Sri Lanka Standard Time is five and a half hours ahead of GMT. (UTC + 05:30) (Allowance should be made for summer-time changes in Europe.)
- International dialing
- 230 volts, 50 cycles A/C.
- Conference Venue
- BMICH (Bandaranaike Memorial International Conference Hall), Colombo
Visa is a basic requirement for entry and in principle, a foreigner wishing to enter Sri Lanka must have a visa. Visa on arrival (30 days) is available on a reciprocal basis to travellers from Singapore and the Maldives. For more details and for online application, visit the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) website of the Department of Immigration and Emmigration: www.eta.gov.lk/slvisa/visainfo